Before Cherokee...
In the next few days I hope to learn more about the Cherokee culture, and also learn what is most important to them,so I can best apply . I am apprehensive about what to expect during the actual clinical experiences at Cherokee Indian Hospital Authority, and am anxious to learn and be able to observe how they care for the surrounding population. I have learned during research that the population lacks resources which can cause many health issues such as diabetes, disease, and hypertension. Within the area, just like the rest of the United States, there are many individuals suffering from opioid addiction. These factors have the potential to cause issues in the home, by separating parents and potentially exposing children to an unsafe environment and/or lead them to live a life similar. My thoughts about the Native American people are that they seem as though they are very close with their surrounding community and that they work together whenever needed. I think being from central Illinois, although it is a small town we have access to so many resources and almost anything we need. Compared to Cherokee and the areas surrounding they have less access to daily necessities, like proper foods, medicines, and health care. I think it is so easy to take for granted everything we have in Peoria, being within not only within driving distance but walking distance to grocery stores, hospitals, pharmacies, childcare, etc. so I am sure it will be very different from home... and to be honest I'm not so sure I am quite ready, but I am eager, and excited to be immersed within the experience!
Comments
Post a Comment